Water tank liner installation recently completed in Derby.
This was a very unique project which involved installing a EPDM tank liner in a Victorian underground water tank.
The storage tank had been in use for many years without any protective coating or water tank lining in place.
As the storage tank was brick built it would have been difficult to prepare and reline the structure utilising our polyurethane coating system.
Subsequently the decision was made to install a EPDM tank liner.
Advantages of EPDM Water Tank Liners
EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) liners have several advantages when used in water tanks, some of which include:
- Chemical resistance: EPDM water tank liners are highly resistant to chemicals commonly found in water, such as chlorine and sulphuric acid, which helps to protect the tank from corrosion and leaks.
- Temperature resistance: EPDM liners have a wide temperature range, which means they can be used in both hot and cold climates without the risk of cracking or warping.
- Flexibility: EPDM water tank liners are flexible and can conform to the shape of the tank, which helps to prevent leaks and ensure a tight seal.
- UV resistance: EPDM water liners have excellent UV resistance and can withstand prolonged exposure to sunlight without degrading, which is important for outdoor water tanks.
- Durability: EPDM water liners have a long lifespan and are resistant to damage from impact, abrasion, and punctures, which helps to reduce the need for frequent repairs or replacements.
- Environmental friendly: EPDM water tank liners are made from environmentally friendly materials and are recyclable.
- Cost-effective: EPDM water tank liners are cost-effective in the long run as they have a long lifespan, which means they will need to be replaced less frequently.
It is important to note that EPDM tank liners are typically more expensive than butyl liners, but their long-term benefits may outweigh the initial cost in water tank applications.
Water Tank Liner Installation Process
Our operatives initially isolated the inlet and outlet valves of the storage tank and left it to drain.
Once drained, we carried out a water tank clean ensuring surface contaminants such as sediment and debris were removed.
With the storage tank drained and cleaned we were now able to repair any auxiliary components within the storage tank
This included replacing all gaskets and galvanised steel bolts.
Our operatives also ensured all corroded fittings were prepared and treated using a corrosion protective coating system.
The next step required our operatives to begin installing the geo textile liner.
The geo textile liner was installed at a high level to all internal walls of the storage tank.
With the geo textile protective liner in place we were then able to fit the EDPM liner over the top.
The water tank lining was now complete, our operatives filled the storage tank and placed the system back online
If you have a similar water tank liner installation project you require help with please don’t hesitate to contact our team.