Chemical resistant bund lining project completed recently in Southern England.
Our customer required a long-term chemical resistant solution to help with the internal protection of their site’s sulphuric acid bund.
Chemical resistant bund lining solution.
Due to confined spaces issues and restricted access into the bund, our sustainable solution required the full chemical resistant GRP lining system to prefabricated off site in our workshop.
The chemical resistant lining system was prefabricated in individual sections to fit to the exact dimensions of the internal walls of the bund.
Our team also fabricated a chemical resistant GRP pipe lining system to help protect the bunds low level pipe work.
Chemical Resistant Bund Lining System Installation
The prefabricated chemical resistant bund lining system was then delivered to site where our operative’s lowered each individual section into the bund.
With the sections now in place within the bund, they were joined and sealed together, forming a one-piece chemical resistant GRP structure within the bund.
Additional protection from sulphuric acid was provided by utilising a Novolac epoxy coating system which was applied in multiple coats to all internal surfaces of the installation.
What is a Novolac Coating?
A novolac coating, often referred to as a novolac epoxy coating, is a specialized protective resin system extensively used across industries such as automotive, aerospace, construction, and marine sectors. This epoxy variant, known for its remarkable chemical resistance and high-temperature tolerance, offers a host of advantages.
Key attributes of novolac coatings:
- Chemical Resistance: Novolac coatings excel in resisting a wide array of chemicals, including acids, bases, solvents, and corrosive substances. This attribute is particularly valuable in environments with exposure to harsh chemicals.
- High Temperature Resilience: These coatings exhibit exceptional heat resistance, making them ideal for applications subject to elevated temperatures or thermal fluctuations. They are commonly found in industrial settings where heat is a concern, such as chemical processing facilities.
- Longevity: Novolac coatings are renowned for their durability and ability to provide long-lasting protection. They contribute significantly to extending the lifespan of surfaces and equipment exposed to challenging conditions.
- Strong Adhesion: Novolac coatings possess excellent adhesion properties, ensuring effective bonding to various substrates like concrete, metal, and fiberglass.
- Versatility: They can be tailored to meet specific performance requirements, enhancing their versatility and suitability for diverse applications.
- Application: Typically, novolac coatings are applied as a two-component system comprising a novolac epoxy resin and a curing agent. Proper mixing and application procedures are vital for achieving the desired performance.
Common Novolac Coatings Applications:
- Tank Linings: Protecting the interior of tanks and containers used for storing corrosive chemicals.
- Flooring: Deployed in industrial and commercial flooring systems to provide resistance against chemicals, abrasion, and impact.
- Pipe Coatings: Applied to pipelines to shield against corrosion and chemical exposure.
- Chemical Processing Equipment: Guarding equipment like reactors, vessels, and pumps in chemical plants from chemical and thermal stress.
- Aerospace and Automotive Components: Used in critical components requiring chemical resistance and high-temperature tolerance.
For optimal performance, it is essential to consider the specific formulation and application method for novolac coatings. Consulting with coating experts or manufacturers can aid in selecting the most suitable coating for a particular application.
The final stages of the project involved the low-level GRP pipe section of the installation to be joined and sealed to the existing pipe work to create a completely seamless bond.
The above ground turret of the bund was also completely encapsulated with our chemical resistant GRP lining system to help protect all vulnerable areas from any chemical spill overs that may occur from the bund.
This was an exciting project to be involved in, requiring our team to work in collaboration with operatives from a major utilities company throughout the project to help ensure the project was delivered within the customers required timescales.
Should you require help with a similar chemical resistant bund lining project please don’t hesitate to get in contact with our team.